Sunday, March 18, 2007

sleeves in progress

My latest exciting project is a cropped shrug/hoodie from craftster. I loved the look and even bought yarn in a similar color. Everything was going swimmingly until the sleeves. I finished one but it looked a little small, so I stitched it up. Well it fits... but I wouldn't be able to wear anything under it... ever. My gauge is the same as that on the pattern, so maybe I just have hulk-ish arms (I think, but gauge swatches are not my forte). If you look at the picture on the pattern, she even has some loose fabric around the elbow, I did not.
So I'm starting the next sleeve but cast on an extra ten stitches. If that is better I'll frog sleeve number one and re-do it. Wow. Modifying a pattern. I feel like a real live knitter. I think I might do three inches of rib instead of the two inches called for in the pattern also... hmmm.
I'm using budget yarn (Plymouth Encore worsted weight 75% acrylic 25% wool) which is kind of hairy so frogging is going to be a pain in my butt. My dream yarn would have been Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, but then I would have a $60 sweater rather than a $20 sweater. And who can afford that stuff!!

No comments: